Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Did you Brush Your Hair?


I am participating in the month long Slice of Life Challenge sponsored by The Two Writing Teachers. This is the first time I have participated and I am challenging myself to write daily in the hopes that this work will help guide me in being a better teacher of writing to my students.  Today is Day 1.  I am both anxious and excited as I begin this month long journey.


Did you Brush Your Hair?

Who doesn't love getting their hair cut?  I know I do, especially when it involves sitting in a massage chair while having your head and arm massaged at seven o'clock at night. Tonight was one of those nights and yes, I left feeling great and pretty and cared for, but I also got to chuckle once again over the story about the time I brushed my hair. 
A few years ago while getting my haircut I chose to take the time to have the hair dresser blow dry and style my hair. Typically my naturally curly and frizzy hair is cut and then out the door I go with my curly top bouncing away. After my decision to blow my hair on this night, I looked into the mirror and saw a different person, one with a silky, smooth head of straight hair with no curls to be found.  Wow! What a change! As I got ready for school the next morning I thought my hair looked so beautiful that I should go to work without washing my hair and looking slightly different.  I wondered what people would say.  The compliments abound from both staff and children, but the best comment came as I neared a first grade classroom in the hallway and I heard the children chattering about my hair. One comment in particular caught my attention.  "Mrs Baldiga, did you brush your hair today?"  I quickly responded, "Yes I did!"  I proceeded back to my office laughing all the way.  I quickly shared with story with my hair dresser and she laughed even harder than I did.  Tonight, like all other visits to the salon, I walked in the door, sat down and said, please brush my hair, it's been eight weeks after all!  We chuckle and then I settled in for another relaxing experience, gently smiling and thinking about my smooth and silky newly brushed hair.  





10 comments:

  1. Christine,
    Welcome to the world of slicing! It's such a great place to write. Love your story! Kids are the REASON we have to tell stories!

    Ahhh! The boys in my family all have curly hair. I used to get perms but haven't done that in years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fran. I am anxious starting but up for the challenge.

      Delete
  2. That's a great story! Kids can be startlingly observant at times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - they can be very observant and oh so blunt! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Your teaser title drew me in..I totally thought it was going to be about your young daughter. So I chuckled to read it and find out it was actually about you!! And I chuckled harder realizing I could relate to the "squirrelly" hair (as I call mine!) I wore my naturally curly hair straight one time and my students said, "You forgot to curl your hair today!) LOL Great post

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! Reminds me of a day that one of my 6th graders asked me, "Did you have a rough morning?" and when I looked at him puzzled, he added "Well, your hair looks a little... yikes!"

    Welcome to slicing! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great story! I was also intrigued by the story title. Wouldn't it be nice if all you had to do was "brush your hair" to get all the hard work of blowing it out and straightening it done?! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So funny! I can totally picture your awesome hair and the types of comments while walking through school halls. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome to the Slice of Life challenge!! What a great story - first graders say the funniest things. I'm thinking that cherub is told by parents daily to brush their hair!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome! What a great first slice!
    I once had a 7th grader say "Mis Gillespie, your hair looks funny today." I replied with "Well, I can't see it so it's not bothering me." I think I horrified her.

    ReplyDelete