Wednesday, March 23, 2016

It's All About the Talk

Today is day 23 of the March Slice of Life Story Challenge. Head over to Two Writing Teachers to learn more about this great writing experience.

It's All About the Talk
The last two days of the Slice of Life Story Challenge had me writing about the sessions from the Teachers College Saturday Reunion.  Writing about each session has been beneficial in remembering much more of each presentation, allowing the important parts to really stick.  I am vowing to synthesize more of my notes after every PD session!


Another session I attended was given by Kathy Collins: “Supporting Partners to have Big Ideas and Grand Conversations About the Littlest of Books.” Today I thought I would synthesize my notes and create a list of my top 10 takeaways from the Kathy Collins presentation.

  1. We need to give our students time to talk across ALL aspects of the day
  2. Children need explicit instruction in how to carry a conversation
  3. Students need to see mentors and models showing how to talk. Use videos made by you or found online
  4. Teachers should help students reflect on their talk, and then engage in discussions on how they can improve
  5. Conversation starts as a whole class and gradually releases to the teacher being a participant
  6. When we engage in talk about a text, we are gaining a deeper understanding of that text
  7. In order for our reading - writing partnerships to grow, we need to build a community across the day, not just in workshop
  8. Think time is often required before for talk time
  9. If we expect students to talk about big ideas in little books, then we should be showing our students our big ideas through modeling first
  10. Explain the reason WHY you chose to read a book.  This will help plant the seeds of great reading habits


6 comments:

  1. This sounds like an amazing session--thanks for letting me live vicariously through your notes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to pick out one gem that I liked from the list, but they were all great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the list structure and that we get a peak into your learning from TC.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank your for writing about your sessions you attended, Christine. I am often envious of those who attend such amazing PD and do a little detective work online to find teachers that share their learning.

    I agree that student talk needs to be explicitly modeled and we also need to model what real listening looks like and what happens in our minds when we listen. It's hard stuff! Most adults can't do it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been fortunate enough to have Kathy Collins lead some PD at our school. What a fabulous experience! It looks like this session was another winner. I appreciate your listing those take-aways so we can all benefit from them. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been fortunate enough to have Kathy Collins lead some PD at our school. What a fabulous experience! It looks like this session was another winner. I appreciate your listing those take-aways so we can all benefit from them. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete