Thursday, March 24, 2016

Starting a New Tradition a la Lucy

Today is day 24 in the month long Slice of Life Story Challenge sponsored by Two Writing Teachers. What am I going to do when this is over?
Starting a New Tradition a la Lucy

Lucy Calkin’s closing speech at the 90th Teachers College Saturday Reunion gave me enough food for thought to fill a month’s worth of posts.   
Her big message was centered around the word tradition.  This being the 90th reunion Lucy commented that these Saturday reunions are now a tradition for the staff as well as for many of those in the audience. Lucy continued to say that traditions tie us together and make us feel like we belong, even when that belonging can make us “feel less weird.”  

One of the best traditions for teachers to engage in according to Lucy was to be a writer. What?  Did she just say that?  Was she talking to me the new participant in the slice of life story challenge?  She went on to state that writing helps us to do more wide awake living. Huh… isn't that what I've been experiencing this month, live awake living.  

My slice of life writing had me looking closely at sunrises and sunsets, birds, and trees.  My writing has had me thinking about my soon to be grandchildren, my family and little bits of rainbows.  I’ve traveled back to Switzerland with my family, became vulnerable, and I discovered so many new ways to think about my student writers (here and here).  Yes Lucy, writing has had me living more wide awake.  

Lucy stated that is once you do something five times and then write about it, then it becomes a habit, a tradition. And all one has to do to make a tradition is to just start, to take one little step towards that new tradition, to begin something new. 

Being that it is day 24 of the slice of life story challenge, it looks as if I have a new tradition.  
So today, thanks to this slice of life story challenge and Lucy’s words, I am officially starting - just starting (as Lucy stated) .. to be a daily writer!

Are you ready to start with me?

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for passing along some Lucy wisdom! I love this idea of tradition! This is my second year slicing in March, and it does seem like everything is a little sharper and brighter during this month of transition from winter to spring. I don't know if I can keep up with daily writing, but I hope to at least stick with weekly blogging after March ends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea that writing things down makes them a tradition. The permanence of writing (and reflecting) really does make things seem more . . . vivid. Thanks for sharing this--great food for thought!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad! Love reading your posts, learning from you, connecting with you and hearing your voice!
    Clare

    ReplyDelete
  4. Writing things down makes them a tradition...and a commitment. I will sometimes write something down to commit to acting on it. At times these are published, at times they are private, but writing it down seems to give me a power to make it happen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Wide awake living" - yes, writing leads us to this. How wonderful that you have enjoyed this experience during the March challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is my 3rd March of "wide awake living." It's very hard to sustain, but even if we can't be 100% daily writers, we can return to writing again and again to refresh and grow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Wide awake living." What a great phrase. This is my second year participating in the challenge and it's been so rewarding. I am continually amazed by the community here and also by the amazing slices that I'm privileged to read. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and Lucy's.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is also my first year with SOL and I am enjoying it. I have been pondering what will happen when the month is over, will I continue to write? Next year I may be teaching a specific writing class instead of just LA 9 or 10 and I do believe that if I want the student to write I need to join them. Wonder will I keep on writing come April 1st?

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is also my first year with SOL and I am enjoying it. I have been pondering what will happen when the month is over, will I continue to write? Next year I may be teaching a specific writing class instead of just LA 9 or 10 and I do believe that if I want the student to write I need to join them. Wonder will I keep on writing come April 1st?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a great reflection. Good luck in your endeavor to continue your writing.

    ReplyDelete