Sunday, March 20, 2016

Taking A Break

Two Writing Teachers are sponsoring a month long writing challenge and I am taking part for the first time!  Today is Day 20 of my daily writing of Slice of Life Stories.


Taking a Break

I know I have many slices waiting inside this brain after attending yesterday’s Teachers College 90th reunion, but I needed a break!  So today I decided to get out my sewing machine to stitch a little curtain for a cupboard in my craft / exercise / lake front room.  
I sat in my pjs in front of the window overlooking the sunshine on the lake and sewed away.  I must point out that I haven't sewed in years, but since learning I would soon become a grandma, I decided I needed to start sewing again.  And I have enjoyed it! Stitching various little baby projects in anticipation of the arrival of two grandchildren (first one due any day now!) has been fun.

As I was sewing, I realized how much I enjoyed the break.  Quick projects such as these that make my new home look nice, has been so rewarding. For a few hours, my mind wasn't focused on the school to do list, but rather on my project, the sunshine, and my craftiness!
Yes, I have a load of school work awaiting me: a lab site model lesson to prepare, a strategy group idea that needs to be fleshed out, and preparations for a family math night... I could go on and on, but I needed an escape from school for a while. And my little craft project was just the thing I needed.  

A career in education is extremely draining and demanding with burn out an easy reality.  I know I can get trapped into the cycle of all work.  So for me, taking these little time outs to be or to do is necessary. They recharge my batteries and remind me that I do have a life other than work!


What do you do to take a break from your to do list and the demands of your teaching career?



8 comments:

  1. Little breaks can vary - today mine has been lazily reading slices and stuff on my computer. No "to do" list today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having an escape from the day to day is so important! I love how you took us to that moment looking out the window.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I take breaks to run. To do yoga. To sing. To write. To watch something silly on Netflix just because. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's awesome that you took the break you know you needed. I've taken up coloring. It seems to be an "adult" thing these days...go figure! Rest assured I will anxiously be waiting for your recap!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a knitter and love making things for other people. It gives your brain a break and lets you think about the person you are knitting for.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read books and write. I try to write stories for myself. I read books that inspire. I also blog. Now I am retired; so, I am able to blog more and take more time for self.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How exciting that you're expecting your first grandchild! Those breaks you describe are sooo important! I'm glad you could recharge while crafting. I tend to read, write, bake, or walk/run. I'm looking forward to some gardening time in the not-too-distant future.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How exciting that you're expecting your first grandchild! Those breaks you describe are sooo important! I'm glad you could recharge while crafting. I tend to read, write, bake, or walk/run. I'm looking forward to some gardening time in the not-too-distant future.

    ReplyDelete