Tuesday, March 29, 2016

The Grandma I Want to Be

Today is day 29 of the month long writing challenge sponsored by The Two Writing Teachers. This is my first year participating in this "Slice of Life Story Challenge" and I am loving it! Only 2 more days!





The Grandma I Want to Be

Yesterday I was driving home from work when I started thinking about my mom and her role as grandmother.  I thought about how she inspired my children and the legacy she left with them.

My mother grew up in the depression era where you lived by the waste not, want not, mantra so she was continually thinking of ways to use this little piece of yarn, or that leftover piece of fabric. She was always making with them, and this was long before the “maker movement.”   When the kids came to visit, Grandma regularly had a project for them to complete, like creating homemade Christmas ornaments together from found objects, (that still grace our tree) bead-work, Popsicle stick frames, and simple sewing projects. She always had the glue, yarn and material ready for their visits and the kids grew to know and love this about her.

She also made for them.  She was a fabulous seamstress and loved making stuffed animals and dolls.  She made a doll for each girl and then stitched a first communion dress for the doll to match the first communion dress she made for them.  She crafted white lunch bags into Easter bunny baskets and then filled the bags with eggs sewed out of scraps of floral and striped material and lace.  A typical lunch time visit to Grandma’s house included chocolate milk and grilled cheese sandwiches cut into cows from the special cookie cutter my mom had just for them!  She made the kids all kinds of candy too, our favorite being the best butterscotch lollipops you ever licked! Oh how she spoiled my kids with sweets!  The love she put into these gifts was very evident.  
I know I will never quite be like my mom, but as my new title of grandmother grows ever closer by the minute, I think more of how I too can be that grandma.  A grandmother that creates with them, explores with them and laughs with them.  I want to be a grandma just like my mom.



8 comments:

  1. Loved your post. What a wonderful mentor grandma your mom was for you. I'm also approaching grandmotherhood. I just wish I weren't doing it from one WA to the other one. Sigh! Just saw that this is your first year slicing in March! Welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are going to be a fantastic grandma. And it is such a fun role to be in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know how crafty you are, but I think you should emulate your mom in whatever way you feel you can.It isn't really about the craft, it is about time together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your idea of legacy -- that is what we are left with - isn't it?? It seems that time is the legacy. She spent time with them and thinking about them. She spoiled them with love -- how perfect! I have no doubt you will be honoring her legacy and creating your own. Can't wait to read about it in future slices!
    Clare

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me too! In fact, I am a new grandma and I hope you won't mind if I steal some of your mom's ideas :)
    The details make your piece; bring your mom's love and pleasure at being grandma to your children to life for us. My favorites are the matching communion dresses for the dolls, and the cow-shaped grill cheese sandwiches!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me too! In fact, I am a new grandma and I hope you won't mind if I steal some of your mom's ideas :)
    The details make your piece; bring your mom's love and pleasure at being grandma to your children to life for us. My favorites are the matching communion dresses for the dolls, and the cow-shaped grill cheese sandwiches!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great role model you have! Being a Grandma is just that - loving and spoiling them whenever and however we can. I have twin almost 6 year granddaughters and even though we live 10 hours away, we get there as often as we can and then just play and read and have fun. Congrats on your first year and on soon becoming a Grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like you had a wonderful model. You will be exactly what they need! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete