Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Writing Notebook

I am participating in the Slice of Life Story Challenge 2016, hosted by https://twowritingteachers.wordpress.com/. Today is day nine of the month long challenge.


Writing Notebook
The first eight days of the Slice of Life Story Challenge have been filled with joyful and eager writing. It has been a journey of new gleanings and growth as I put idea to paper.  My biggest struggle thus far has been generating ideas for writing, sometimes even losing sleep over my topic for the next day. Once again, I am growing more sympathetic to students who claim they have nothing to write about each day.

This morning I realized that I have ideas but I need to be better at capturing the ideas when they strike. I don't want my inspirations to be fleeting, rather I want to discover a way to note that grand thought or seed of a story when it strikes.  

Thanks to a comment left on my blog the other day, I started thinking about the use of a writing notebook to jot down my ideas.  I fully realize this is not a new idea, as a matter of fact, my students all use their own topic notebook for ideas, but I never thought I had a need for one.  (True confessions: I must sheepishly admit that I actually have a “mock” writer’s notebook for the sake of a lesson. Oh my!)

So today when I arrived at school I made the decision to jump in and transform my to do notebook by adding a tab in the middle called Writing Ideas.  Since I carry this notebook with me throughout my day it made perfect sense to place my list in this book.  I feel so good about this decision, like I’m a real author, like I am truly living a writerly life with this simple act. I no longer have to fake the tiny topic notebook lesson, I can truly show the students my authentic list.


6 comments:

  1. I have a notebook, but I find I use "stickies" on my computer desktop and phone the most. As something strikes I jot it down and it syncs. I also keep a folder of images I have taken on my computer desktop to go back to later. Both work well for me.
    Clare

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! Keeping a writer's notebook is such a "writerly" thing to do. It's going to make you a better writer and better writing teacher!

    My blog site is aggiekesler.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a mock writer's notebook too!!! I wish I were disciplined enough to write in it everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sometimes jot down an idea on my phone in either Notes or in an email that I send to myself! I also have a paper notebook and pen in my purse all the time. And if ever I'm caught off guard, a restaurant napkin or placemat has been helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the a few other ways to keep a writers notebook. I don't always have my pad with me - but I almost always have my phone!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You really need a notebook during this month, important for those of us who are still trying to get the habit. I get a lot of ideas at night, so a glow in the dark pen and notebook on my night table are really helpful.

    ReplyDelete