Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Jewels

“If you look the right way, you can see that the whole world is a garden.”

Jewels

This morning I woke up to another frigid day.  It’s April in New England and while I know that the weather can turn on a dime, I did not expect to awake to 19 degrees and 6 inches of snow on the ground.  
But as I lay in bed looking out my window, my eye captured a little glint of light, a jewel clinging from a branch.  It was a drip of ice catching the sunlight just right and it was shining at me. I smiled at the beauty and wanted to jump up and take a picture.
It was then that I realized that once I changed my perspective, my attitude changed as well.  I wasn't looking at a frosty morning, I was looking at a beautiful gem glimmering in the early morning light.


This glimmer of a jewel had me asking several reflective questions that I pondered as I got ready for the day.  
  • How often do I let my first impressions cloud my view and not allow me to open my eyes to the garden or the jewel in front of me?
  • How often do I move so quickly through my to do's that I fail to stop and talk to a child, or to a co-worker, and really listen to his/her concerns?
  • How often do I only hear the whining and not focus on the pain behind the cry?
  • How often do I overlook the sadness or the frown on a child's face because I have work to complete, instead of asking how they are?


Today I commit to finding the gem in the people and situations that are placed in front of me. I need to stop,  look twice, change my perspective and see the jewels that are right in front of me.


7 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I can't believe how well you captured it in the photo!

    I love how you took this small sight from your window and let it change your whole day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a challenge! It took a few tries! Thank you!

      Delete
  2. . As we get busier and busier at school, it is too easy to see the down side or ignore someone else's needs because our own seem so pressing. What a gift to be able to change your perspective and look at things in a new way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Adrienne. We all need to slow down and be present. For me it is easier said than done most days.

      Delete
  3. There are times when the negative seems all too prevalent in our lives. Taking a step back, taking a deep breath and looking for the positive will make all the difference in our attitudes. So glad that you are finding jewels in your day. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many beautiful things about this post, from the photo, to the thoughts, to the reflections, to the stance towards life. I completely agree... when we take the time ... it is amazing what we see, truly see. Thank you for the inspiration.
    Clare

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love everything about your post. I love that you noticed the "gem". I loved that you captured it as a photograph. I love that you reflected on it in such a beautiful way. Your words made an impact on me!

    ReplyDelete