Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Playful Choices

Tuesday is the Slice of Life Challenge sponsored by Two Writing Teachers. 


Playful Choices
I began reading the sample chapter from Purposeful Play, by Kristine Mraz, Alison Porcelli and Cheryl Tyler, last night and it made me think about the choices I made during my vacation last week.
Last week was school vacation week in Massachusetts. My to do list was long and filled with lots of yard work, home repair projects, and visits with the baby.  Yes, I also had a separate school to do list that I brought home with me with hopes of tackling a few items on that list.  
Vacation took on a life of its own with lots of fun.  It started with a quick and unexpected trip to Maine for sightseeing, shopping, lobster eating, chatting and fun. Later in the week I got to visit with my granddaughter a few times, enjoyed bathing her and taking her on her first carriage ride.  Oh how I love pushing carriages!  I came home with enough energy to work in the yard, removing a few big straggling bushes, building a stone wall, and creating new flower beds.  By Sunday night I was exhausted but fulfilled, especially as I looked at my transformed yard, and crossed off home to do list. I crawled into bed early to get ready for a new week at school.
As I arrived to work yesterday and sat down to look at my school list, I realized it was long and untouched.  So I began tackling the items.  I was on fire and quickly and efficiently completed four items before the children arrived.  I was positive and upbeat in what I had accomplished and I could greet with the teachers and students with a renewed sense of hope and energy to face the first day back at school.  
My playful time during vacation did not seem to interfere with my school to do list, as a matter of fact I was more focused than ever.  I recalled a quote from the sample chapter of Purposeful Play that was ringing true to me:   
“Play has an essential role in fueling our happiness and intelligence throughout our lives and that it is as essential to our health as sleep and food. Great thinkers and philosophers including Aristotle, Plato, Rousseau, Freud, Piaget, Vygotsky, and Einstein have put forth their thinking that play is not frivolity but essential for the development of the mind and human spirit.  Play connects us to the world and to each other and offers unlimited possibilities.  So come.  Let’s play.”  

And play I did!  And I am better for it!  I can't wait to read the rest of the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment