Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Reading to Write

“If you don't have time to read, you don't have the time or the tools to write.”  Steven King

Another Slice of Life Tuesday is here and I am floundering for a topic.  I made a promise to myself that I would keep up with the Tuesday Slice of Life posts, but I have been disappointed with my regularity.  And the few posts I have made since the March challenge have been “eh” at best. The challenge of writing a new post each day during March was life changing for me and I had high hopes to continue on, but I am in a rut and can’t seem to get out.
On my drive to work today I was thinking about my slump and possible reasons for not being able to generate anything of importance.  A few ideas slipped into my mind, but they seemed drab and inconsequential.  In the process of brainstorming topics I had a huge aha when I realized that I hadn't been keeping up with my reading either.  Of course I can't write, I have no new material to refresh my brain, to keep it oiled and working like new. Without the input there can be no output!  
So today I am vowing to get back into my groove by reading and keeping up with my Professional Learning Network, PLN, through twitter chats, memes, and various followings. I am certain that by next week I’ll have all kinds of great new thoughts to write about for my Tuesday Slice of Life post.

Thank you to the Two Writing Teachers for sponsoring this forum. My writing has changed because of you!

6 comments:

  1. Sometimes when I fall out of the groove and am stuck for topic ideas, I read lots of lots of slices from past Tuesdays. It usually helps me get unstuck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes when I fall out of the groove and am stuck for topic ideas, I read lots of lots of slices from past Tuesdays. It usually helps me get unstuck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always listen to an audiobook in the car. That way, if I get busy, I can still read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such an important reflection.... great to share with student writers!!! Process is so important -- I cannot wait to hear how this strategy works for you!! How is that grandbaby??/ There must be some slices with the new baby!!
    Clare

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great goal! I am always trying to convince my coworkers (all teachers!) to spend more time reading! My post today is even about how most of what I know is from the books I read. So good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We all feel this way from time-to-time. I can especially connect to your post because I have been feeling this way too. Makes me wonder how I even wrote a slice every day in March! It sounds like you have a great game plan though! Just keep plugging away. ~Amy

    ReplyDelete