Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Sound Bite: Memories of an Old Clock

Memories of an Old Clock













Tick tock

Tick tock

The clock glows

an antiqued brown


Tick tock

Tick tock

The clock slows

my body down


Tick tock

Tick tock

The clock marks

passing time


Tick tock

Tick tock

The clock keeps

happy rhyme


Tick tock

Tick tock

The clock harkens

warm memories


Tick tock

Tick tock

The clocks smiles

back at me




My children surprised me on Mother's Day by having an old family treasure restored for me. This clock once hung in my childhood home but despite many attempts at fixing the clock, it remained silent for years. I love the rhythmic ticking that now graces my home. I am amazed how much I love the rhythmic beat and the peace it seems to bring into my home.

The sound of the clock was the true inspiration for the poem, so as I wrote this post and recorded the video, I thought about how video could be used to help spark writing for our students. I reflected further and thought about possibilities for connecting writing and science, and engage students as they attempted to capture some interesting sound clips they found around their day. 

Here is another video I took this morning of the rainy day sounds outside my window. Maybe the clip will spark some interesting content area writing.


Thank you to the Two Writing Teachers for hosting the Slice of Life writing forum, pushing me to think about writing in new ways!


1 comment:

  1. What a great Mother's Day gift. I hope you will share what your students write after listening to the rain.

    ReplyDelete