Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Sadness

Thank you to Two Writing Teachers for hosting Slice of Life Tuesdays. This space helps me learn what it takes to be a writer so I can be a better teacher of writing.


Today my writing was easy to write, but difficult to post. I am considering the following question today:
How does taking a risk to be vulnerable impact our writing?

Sadness

Sometimes it hits
like a ton of bricks 
but more often it
creeps up on me 
so quickly and 
so quietly
Like when I 
glance at that card
Meant for us
An anniversary greeting 
or possibly
Seeing that couple 
Enjoying a Sunday afternoon
Holding hands and smiling
The warm tear slowly
falls down the cheek
Knowing that it will 
never be that way again
For love was deep and
love was lost.

It hurts.

3 comments:

  1. This was a beautiful poem; thank you for sharing it. For me, when I read your poem, your own vulnerability strikes my own challenges with love, and I feel like relief that someone else looks at those happy couples on Sunday afternoons and wishes to be in that sort of couple hood, that sort of happiness, that sort of union. I feel less alone because someone else feels it, too, even if it's for different reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry for your pain and loss and hope that writing about it helps ease some of that sadness, or help in some way. Thank you for taking the risk and sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking of you. These lines:
    creeps up on me
    so quickly and
    so quietly

    are so true. Thank you for trusting and sharing. It is a beautiful poem.
    Clare

    ReplyDelete