Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Who Am I as a Writer? a'la Jennifer Serravallo

Last Friday I received my copy of Jennifer Serravallo's The Writing Strategies Book.  I was like a kid in a candy shop as I opened the box quickly, eagerly perusing the contents. As I was flipping through the pages I was drawn to an illustration at the beginning of the chapter on engagement titled: Who Am I as a Writer?  Before I even read the caption I thought about myself as a writer.  I made a plan to get out my markers and make my own little sketch.  As I was doodling I learned a little about myself as a fledgling writer.  I reflected upon the areas I feel confident and where I believe I can grow.  I thought about my favorite places to write and pondered my favorite topics. I am not certain whether Jennifer Serravallo intended for others to draw a picture as shown in the book, but I appreciated the opportunity for reflection and the opportunity to discover what makes me tick as a writer.  

As a coach of kindergarten and first grade teachers I can see the benefit of doing an activity such as this with the youngest of writers in my building.  I can already envision the cute little drawings of our emergent writers capturing their favorite place to write, their favorite tools to write with, and even what makes it hard or easy to write.  I imagine the rich conversations that will ensue about these sketches as the students chat about themselves as true writers and authors. 
Thank you Jennifer! This book is already a hit with me!  


I am so grateful to the Two Writing Teachers for hosting the Slice of Life blog as well as their community of writers that share a passion for writing.


4 comments:

  1. I teach 3rd and think 8 year olds will like this activity too. But I too need to do it, like you did! Great modeling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait for Jen's book! Great share of a great activity. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This makes one really think of themselves as a writer. It is time to claim that identity, even if you think you are just a beginner. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this - what a great idea. It is a fabulous book and kids will love to see how you are using it too!
    Clare

    ReplyDelete