Wednesday, March 29, 2017

A Letter to My Granddaughter on her 1st Birthday

Today is day 29 of the month long writing challenge sponsored by Two Writing Teachers. This is my second year participating in the month long challenge. 



A letter to my granddaughter on the occasion of her first birthday


Dear Maddie,
I love you. 

I can't believe that one year ago today you came into our world and changed our lives forever.  Your warmth radiated into my soul as your tiny pink fingers wrapped around my finger and my heart.  In one short year you have shown us so much as you learn and grow into your own little being. You remind us that each day is new and fresh and full of learning and potential.

The first time I saw your daddy holding you in his arms I cried. I saw my baby holding his baby, my first grandchild. I also felt proud and knew right then and there that all was right and good.  I saw your dad instantly become a dad and I felt confident knowing he had the best role model possible.  My only regret is that you couldn't meet your Papa Dave. He would have hogged you and never let anyone else hold you because he was such a lover of babies.  I dream that he still holds you and watches over you day and night.  I know he is here to guide our way and remind us of all the things he knew were important in life: family, love, laughter and faith. 

Maddie, already we see you as extremely curious and determined. You are crawling everywhere now, and are enjoying the freedom of exploring every nook and cranny no matter where you go!  You love going on adventures near and far with your mom and dad.

You are a lover of dogs too!  Especially with Tucker when he wants to cover your sweet cheeks with kisses.  But then again, who wouldn't want to kiss your rosy cheeks!


You love to sing and to move. I love to watch your long legs wiggle in delight to the songs your mom and dad sing to you. Music is so important to our family and it makes me happy to see that you love music too. It is so much fun to watch you giggle in delight as we sing the Itsy-Bitsy Spider song with you and you try to mimic our every hand movements. And I can't help but feel joy when I sing you a lullaby and you snuggle in my arms to drift off to sleep.  I am filled with such love at these times.

Maddie, you are happiness and light and all that is good.  You brought joy into my life in a place that was joyless.  I love you! Happy Birthday!

Love, Bebe










5 comments:

  1. I love your slice today! What a great idea to write a letter! I am going to steal your idea if you don't mind? My first grandchild's birthday is May 18th! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I don't mind - "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!"
      I will have to repeat this letter writing as my first grandson (second grandchild) was born in August! I am doubly blessed!

      Delete
  2. No words (too many tears).... she will treasure it always. I am wondering if you handwrote it ... you are definitely in it for the long haul. http://assessmentinperspective.com/?p=4548
    Clare

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes Clare - I MUST handwrite it. Thank you for the suggestion!

      Delete
  3. Your post this morning reminds me (thought sad and happy tears) of the power of a child to make his/her world "new" again.

    ReplyDelete