Saturday, March 25, 2017

Collaborating on Book Spine Poems

Today is day 25 of the month long writing challenge sponsored by Two Writing Teachers.  This is my second year participating in the 31 day challenge.  Such growth!




Collaborating on Book Spine Poems

It has been fun to see slicers write a variety of poems during the March Slice of Life Challenge.  One variety of poetry that I have found intriguing is the book spine poetry.  I wanted to try writing this type of poem so yesterday I went into work early and pulled a few books from my shelf and voila - a book poem was born in 10 minutes!  It was so much fun!  Take a peek:



Today is Monday

There's Nothing to Do

No Friends

The Doorbell Rang

Chicka! Chicka! Boom! Boom!

All in a Day!


I was so excited about the product, and the process, that I couldn't help but share.  My opportunity came later in the day when I met with a teacher to plan our co-teaching session for the following week, I excitedly shared my stack. She immediately said "Wow! Let's try it with my class!" She was gushing with such enthusiasm that we quickly brainstormed ways to adapt the project for her first graders.  We decided we would start small and choose several titles for the students and place a stack of books at each table.  We'd then let the students have a go at it, either working individually or in partnerships.  We giggled with enthusiasm about the idea and decided we would try it out soon.  

After my colleague left I reflected on my gratitude of all that I have discovered about writing through my participation in this March challenge (Where else would I have learned about this poetry form?) and for the joys of collaborating with colleagues that take up the challenge of trying new ideas!






9 comments:

  1. Nice job! Isn't it fun? Sometimes it comes together and other times it's a struggle -- a good struggle. You gave me the idea to have my Kindergarten students try it and then challenge their First Grade Buddies to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is exactly how I feel about this writing challenge - new ideas and sharing, on-line as well as in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your poem and your enthusiasm in sharing. Hope the firsties have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I will need to do a book spine poem next week to help get my third graders excited for poetry month! Thanks for the inspiration!

    -Amanda at https://teachingwanderlust.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are going to love it. Don't be surprised when they branch out on their own, and ask for a book to add to their pile!

    http://mainelywrite.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your poem is great--especially the Chicka Chicka Boom Boom part! And it's great that you're out there sharing it with colleagues. Maybe next year we'll get those colleagues to participate!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are so much fun to do. I often get stressed when I do them since I feel like I can never find the right combo. You seemed to find it... complete with CHICKA CHICKA BOOM BOOM!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This line: We giggled with enthusiasm about the idea and decided we would try it out soon. Now that is coaching!!! Have fun!!
    Clare

    ReplyDelete