Monday, March 27, 2017

KAHBAHBLOOOM - Ed Emberley on Display

Today is day 27 of the month long writing challenge sponsored by Two Writing Teachers.  This is my second year participating in this challenge!  What fun and growth!






KAHBAHBLOOOM - Ed Emberley on Display

What fun!
Ed Emberley was a familiar name to our children as they were growing up.  His books were always out on rainy Saturdays guiding our children to draw virtually anything. Our kids appreciated the simplistic step by step instructions that helped them become instant artists. The well worn books then made an appearance in my classroom and my students relished the times during indoor recess and writers workshop when they could feel accomplished at using simple shapes to generate a complete illustration for fun or for their stories.  So when I read there was an exhibit showcasing his work at the local art museum I knew I had to go.

The exhibit was delightful and full of joy.  The museum made every effort to allow children to touch and experience Ed's art. The "do not touch the drawings" signs were replaced with "please touch" plaques.  Murals replicating his work were painted across the walls and a giant Paul Bunyan's house, that echoed the illustration in one of his books, was constructed in the middle of the room.  Drawing paper was placed in a corner along with a collection of the Ed Emberley Drawing series.  Colorful tiles were placed in a light box for attendees to manipulate and play with light and color. The exhibit was all so very kid-friendly, welcoming, and uplifting. One couldn't help but smile as they walked out of the little room.  I know I was smiling, but I also left with a powerful message: Everyone can be an artist - thanks to Ed Emberley!  


Want to learn more?  Watch here 

6 comments:

  1. Your post goes well with Kathleen's post this morning about growth mindset. Everyone can be an artist--love that reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post goes well with Kathleen's post this morning about growth mindset. Everyone can be an artist--love that reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great exhibit! Kids must love it, and so would I! Wow! I wonder if it travels to other cities?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait!!! Hold on!!!! Hold the phone!!! I looked it up. It's in Worcester, MA! That's not too far away for me! I'm going! Thanks for the tip!

      Delete
  4. When I was the librarian at my former school, the Ed Emberley books were old, but extremely popular. I hadn't known about him until I became the librarian. The kids were excellent instructors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went to it, too! A small, but great exhibit. My favorite book as a child was Drummer Hoff, so I was in heaving seeing the original wood blocks. Amazing. Such a talented man!

    ReplyDelete