Friday, March 10, 2017

Lakefront Majesty

Today is day 10 of the month long writing challenge sponsored by Two Writing Teachers.  I am grateful to the Two Writing Teachers community for the opportunity this challenge has given to me and so many other writers! 




Lakefront Majesty
I had just walked into the living room when I saw him... majestic and bold, white tail and long wings. "Look quick! The eagle!" I shouted to my daughter.  We ran closer to the window to watch him fly and then land on a rock in the middle of the lake. We picked up the binoculars to watch him closer. We had seen him fly by yesterday but it was a brief sighting and not long enough to allow us to get the camera out. Today he decided to land on a nearby rock, close enough to take a few pictures. 

We put dinner on hold to watch and view in awe.

Then it happened. Another eagle joins in from out of nowhere. We stood in amazement watching the two eagles circling the blue sky. They both soar gracefully flashing their white tail feathers. One of the birds drift higher and eventually turns away from the lake and out of sight. The remaining eagle circles low, and heads towards us. He flaps slowly and gracefully, closer and closer to our home. The eagle suddenly turns and glides straight toward the window, seemingly looking in, as if to say hello before he swoops one last time over the trees, disappearing around the corner and over the trees, leaving a lasting impression of peace and majesty.









4 comments:

  1. My neighbor posted an eagle picture on Facebook yesterday from her backyard. I went out yesterday afternoon with hopes of spotting him but no luck. We feel such a sense majesty and awe for these amazing birds. Maybe I'll see him today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope you get to see him. They are indeed beautiful and majestic.

      Delete
  2. I love eagles. When we were in Montana in February we saw quite a few. For the first time ever, I heard a male calling to a female. She responded and they went back and forth until she appeared. She flew in and landed in the tree next to the male. It was amazing -- peaceful and majestic for sure! Is this at your house or on vacation?
    Clare

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clare - what an experience to hear the mating call. This is my home on the lake! I feel so very blessed to have this home.

      Delete