Thursday, March 9, 2017

Memories in a Pen

Today is day 9 of the month long writing challenge sponsored by Two Writing Teachers.  This is the second year I have participated in the challenge.  I am most appreciative of this blogging community that supports so many of us writers!



Memories in a Pen

"Do you have a pen I can borrow?"
I dug through my pocketbook and reached down to the bottom to find two pens.  One standard black pen and the other from a hotel in Switzerland.  I hand my colleague the basic black pen because I couldn't part with the other pen, or should I say I didn't want to let go of that pen.

A flood of memories surfaced.  The pen was taken from the Hotel Du Port Ouchy visited during a once in a lifetime family trip a few years ago.  This hotel was located in the city of Lausanne on the shores of Lake Geneva. It was a beautiful city filled with museums and wonderful restaurants, influenced by the nearby french culture. It was here that we enjoyed a large portion of mussels served over a bed of the best french fries I had ever eaten.  This was the city that we toured the Olympic Museum and discovered the rich history of the games.  This was also the city where we sat  lakeside for hours and enjoyed the view of the mountains that we had just scaled. 


I came back to reality, and to my meeting.  I was temporarily transported to that far off place for a few minutes and returned smiling and ready to attend to my task at hand.  Funny how an object such as a pen can take you away and bring a touch of happiness - if only for a few minutes.   



4 comments:

  1. Objects, smells, a flicker--it's fun when they trigger something in our brains and take us back to a time, especially when it's a good time! Hold on to that pen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Objects, smells, a flicker--it's fun when they trigger something in our brains and take us back to a time, especially when it's a good time! Hold on to that pen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you took us from your present reality to a quick flashback. These memories come and go so quickly, I am glad you were able to capture it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have some things like that too - pens, mugs, a clicker -- they trigger a rush of images, feelings and memories. I love how your piece too us from the moment to your memory and back to the moment. The structure worked really well. Thank you.
    Clare

    ReplyDelete