Thursday, March 2, 2017

My Neighborhood Grocery Store

Today is day 2 of the month long writing challenge sponsored by Two Writing Teachers.  This is my second year participating in the challenge.  So much to learn.  So little time!





My Neighborhood Grocery Store

My one little word for this year is joy.  I promised myself I would write one post a month centered on joy but I never thought I would be writing about finding joy in the grocery store. 

Moving to the lake last year had its obvious perks, but I never really thought one of those perks would be the convenience of a grocery store two minutes from my home.  Being able to quickly run out for that forgotten ingredient, or to pick up a few extra things when company unexpectedly stops in is priceless, much like the MasterCard ad!  But what brings me joy at this grocery store is that I can call it my own.  I say that because I believe the people who work there care about me.  When they ask me how I am doing today they say it in a way that makes me KNOW they mean it.  When they ask me if I found everything I was looking for I feel very comfortable telling them no, and they would respond in a jiff with how can I help you. And to top it all off I am always asked if I need help carrying things to my car! What service. 

The icing on the cake, however, came last week when I went to the store to pick up a few items.  The store is currently running a promotion with these little tickets that you glue on to boards in hopes of winning prizes, BIG prizes like free groceries for a year or a cruise to some warm climate.  The more money you spend at the grocery store, the more tickets you receive.  I do not play these games, but my daughter does, so I simply hand the tickets over to her to play, knowing full well she will share the prize package with her mother!  On this day the bagging clerk whispered to me that she had a surprise in her bag, given to her by the desk manager and she chose me to give it to!  She tucked the bag in with my purchases and wished me luck. I walked out of the store excited to see what was in the bag.  Low and behold it was a bag of tickets and boards already filled with tickets. I couldn't wait to get home to show my daughter the stash! I dreamed of sailing on ocean liners to an exotic place, or buying a slew of lobsters for a summer party! I drove home and shared the gift with my daughter.  We excitedly sorted through the piles of stickers and licked and glued and in the end we got closer to our dreams, but didn't fulfill any dreams.  The joy and the giggles we received from the surprise in the bag was simple but delightful. It was a pure joy!

I love my grocery store.  The kindness and generosity of the staff makes me want to only shop there.  Shopping at this grocery store certainly brings me joy!








2 comments:

  1. Isn't community wonderful! I love this story and your joy was palpable, I think because of all the small details you included.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, quite a store. Sounds like such a fun place to be and I love how the gifts received are shared--including by you.

    ReplyDelete