Tuesday, March 21, 2017

The Power of Compliments

Today is day 21 of the month long writing challenge sponsored by Two Writing Teachers.  This is my second year participating and I am loving it more and more each day!







Mom, you look great skiing!  For someone who learned to ski later in life you have got great form and ease.
These were the words I heard from my daughter-in-law a few weeks ago when I was skiing.  The funny thing about these words is that they were said near the end of a day of skiing in which I felt slightly rusty, out of control, and not in any form what so ever. I was also aware that I hadn't skied in a few years so I was feeling particularly wobbly on my skis.  But after hearing that compliment, I judged I was lighter in my turns and better able to deal with the ever changing conditions of the mountain.

Funny how a compliment can turn your attitude and judgments around!  I have experienced this same attitude turn around from compliments received during this March Slice of Life challenge.  I'd hesitantly post a particularly vulnerable slice and slowly press that publish button and wait...only to be pleasantly surprised by the energy I receive with the comments posted.  The compliments make me want to try harder and write true to myself more often.

Ahhh... the power of a compliment.  

I know there are plenty of children in my school that are writing ever so vulnerably and just waiting for the compliment to drive them forward. They need our encouragement and our comments just as much as I need them. I see the power of words and I am committed more than ever to strive to add more authentic compliments to my toolbox for my student writers. I certainly know the benefits! I lived them on the slopes!





2 comments:

  1. Yes, they need compliments for sure. Lanny wrote a great post about compliments--it might have been his first post as a TWT author. Sometimes it's also powerful to just react and respond to some of the writing we read from kids. This month reveals how vulnerable writing can feel. So important to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, they need compliments for sure. Lanny wrote a great post about compliments--it might have been his first post as a TWT author. Sometimes it's also powerful to just react and respond to some of the writing we read from kids. This month reveals how vulnerable writing can feel. So important to remember.

    ReplyDelete