Friday, March 31, 2017

When You Think You're Done You've Just Begun

Today is day 31 of the month long writing challenge sponsored by Two Writing Teachers.  Hip! Hip! Hooray!  I sliced every day for the entire month of March for the second year in a row!






When You Think You're Done You've Just Begun!

Here it is day 31 of the March Slice of Life Challenge and I am still writing with energy and stamina!  The first thing that comes into my mind is that writers workshop phrase we all know and love so well: When you think you're done you've just begun!  Why do I say that?  I say that because I know that I am a writer and I have much writing left to do and more importantly I have much more growing to happen!  

But first, I want to celebrate all that I have accomplished.  

Here is my list of my March SOL 2017 accomplishments:

  • Writing for 31 consecutive days
  • Digging deep into places I don't like to write about
  • Trying my hand at some of the craft moves that I ask my kindergarten and 1st grade students to use: dialogue, catchy beginnings, tying up the story with a bow so you don't leave the reader hanging...
  • Attempting new formats of poetry: ABC, Phone number, and book spine, to name a few
  • Infusing my writing with a touch of my OLW (one little word - JOY) as much as possible 
  • Commenting on many more posts than last year
  • Growing from other mentor writers that participated in the SOL Challenge - I can't thank this community enough!
  • Discovering many new educational ideas and thoughts
  • Learning how to schedule my posts and cross-post to Twitter
Yeah!  

And here is how I think I can continue to grow as a writer:
  • Commit to contributing each week to the Tuesday Slice of Life Challenge
  • Recruit colleagues to join in the writing fun
  • Consider volunteering to be a welcome wagon team member next year (Time to give back!)
  • Learn more about writing poetry
  • Continue to add to my google doc listing slice ideas
  • Copy the links to posts that generate slice of life ideas so that I can better acknowledge the original author
  • Buy a small, pretty writing journal to place in my purse so I can capture my new ideas while out and about
With this great list I must say that I am looking forward to the journey!  For when you think you're done,you've just begun!  


5 comments:

  1. Wow! You did a lot of different writing in March. Great job! Thank you for your slices!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you thought of ways to grow as a writer too. Great ideas. I too, need to add to my slicing ideas and commit to slicing every Tuesday!

    -Amanda at https://teachingwanderlust.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how reflective you were about your experience. Some years I have participated in the Tuesday post. This is a goal....I will see you there. The connections I have made.....wow, I am so grateful. See you on Tuesdays!-Barbara aka travelinma

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on finishing another Challenge! You have accomplished a lot and have set up some great goals. I am still working on carrying a paper journal, but, now that I won;t be slicing every day, I make more of an effort to carry it, and WRITE in it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on making it through March!
    Just an FYI: I did make it to the Emberley Exhibit in Worcester! Drove down yesterday. It was great. I'm so glad you mentioned it in your Slice.

    Mainelywrite.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete