Tuesday, April 18, 2017

A Picture Paints a Thousand Words

Thank you to the Two Writing Teachers for sponsoring Slice of LIfe Tuesday.  Each week I am afforded an opportunity to practice living a writerly life.




Last night I awoke to find the moon shining through my window and onto the water.  The moonlight captured the choppy late night waters, making the lake shine like expensive diamonds.   I heard my friend's famous saying: If you don't get a picture, it never happened. And I always say: A picture paints a thousand words.  Either way I decided to get out of bed to get a better look and attempt to take a picture on my phone to capture the beauty of the early morning view. 

SNAP and FLASH! 

Oh No! I forgot to turn off the automatic flash.  The neighbors probably thought there was a lightning storm at 3am.  I adjusted the settings and tried again.  Too tired to check my photos, I crawled back into bed until it was really morning.  At breakfast I turned on my phone to check out my pictures.  Nothing there but a black screen and a small white light in the center.  Disappointment settled in.  Where was that beautiful scene?  My friend's words came back to me.  Oh well, maybe it never happened.  Maybe it was just a dream. Either way, in my mind's eye that moonlit scene was worth a thousand words, or possibly 212 words.  At the very least this scene was worth a small moment story!   

4 comments:

  1. Yes, definitely a small moment story! And I would take issue with your friend's famous saying. Sometimes, it's important to remember and hold onto special times without the scaffold of a picture. Great descriptions in your picturesque post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, definitely a small moment story! And I would take issue with your friend's famous saying. Sometimes, it's important to remember and hold onto special times without the scaffold of a picture. Great descriptions in your picturesque post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwww, disappointing. It seems that the most breathtaking scenes cannot be duplicated.....the feeling remains though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How many times have we all lost, for various reasons, that perfect picture. But as you say, it's in your minds eye and will become a happy memory. Great small moment!

    ReplyDelete