Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Cooking Lessons

I hosted 12 guests for a Mother's Day brunch this past weekend.  I chose making brunch because the menu can be so varied with sweet french toasts, to savory quiches, to just right eggs, all delectable choices to cook.  The down side is the lack of oven space usually keeps me from going too wild with new dishes.  That is why I chose to use the crock pot to cook an overnight bread pudding on Saturday night. I have made these easy bread puddings before so it's simple to be creative by changing out the flavors and literally dumping new combinations of seasonings and fruits in at whim.  For this weekend's brunch I thought I'd try a bread pudding of raspberries and cream cheese. I was dreaming of the flavors as I quickly added the ingredients rather willy nilly into the pot.  I hit the "cook on low" button and went to bed, knowing that sometime in the early morning hours I would awake to the smell of sweet goodness! 

Six-thirty in the morning and I awake to smell something cooking, but not the usual sweet smell. I made my way downstairs and opened the lid to find a brown ugly mess with a smell to match.  The raspberries looked pale and mushy, the cream cheese was curdled and the bread looked overcooked with burned edges.  I unplugged the unit, tucked it aside and turned to plan B, oven french toast with some Irish soda bread I had stashed away in the freezer. This time I chose to follow a recipe. 

I felt fortunate that I had other ingredients available to save the day.  Just like in my classroom, I had to make due with what I had to make the best of the situation.  I am happy to say everything turned out fine thanks in part to being open and to being flexible!


Thank you to the authors of the Two Writing Teachers blog for hosting the Tuesday Slice of Life. I love this community of writers that can freely write and grow together.

3 comments:

  1. This ; Just like in my classroom, I had to make due with what I had to make the best of the situation. I am happy to say everything turned out fine thanks in part to being open and to being flexible! -- so important in teaching. I am not sure we are mentoring new teachers to learn this -- will all the objectives, "I Can" statements and Teachers Pay Teachers lessons. It may become a lost art! On another note, what do you think went wrong with the recipe??
    Clare

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had the flexibility to go with a different plan--love Clare's reflection above. There's an art and science to all we do, isn't there? Changing course and having the repertoire to do it has a lot to do with the art of teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you had the flexibility to go with a different plan--love Clare's reflection above. There's an art and science to all we do, isn't there? Changing course and having the repertoire to do it has a lot to do with the art of teaching.

    ReplyDelete