Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Peonies and Thank Yous

It's Slice of Life Tuesday sponsored by the wonderful team at Two Writing Teachers.  Won't you join us?
Peonies and Thank Yous

I stooped down to take a whiff of a bouquet of peonies the other day and an image instantly popped into my mind...
It was the last day of school and I was dressed in a cool summer dress. I was holding a bouquet of peonies for my favorite teacher, a gift for helping me learn and grow that year. The blossoms were fragrant and sweet smelling. My mom had cut them from her garden that morning so they were still dripping wet with dew.  She wrapped the bouquet in a damp paper towel and then covered the paper towel with foil so the stems would stay cool until I got to school. The foil was rough against my hands as I rode the bus to school, but it was all worth it when I saw the smile on my teachers face as I handed her my peonies and whispering a soft thank you.  It was the only gift we could afford, but it was from the heart.  And with her smile I knew it was worth more than gold.

This week I must find a way to say thank you to a colleague that I admire more than gold. She mentored me in a gentle and caring manner and was there for me in my darkest of days.  How do I thank her?  I recall the warm smile I received from the few stems of peonies and the whispered words of thanks.  Maybe a stem or two from my garden will do, but I think I will add my whispering words of thank you by way of a letter, telling her of all my appreciation and admiration. 

I am sure this community will agree - words from the heart are worth more than any gift. Words are gold.

1 comment:

  1. Agreed, Christine. Along with a few stems (lovely) a handwritten note for her to savor and process at the right time sounds perfect. I'm writing just such a note for a colleague right now. -- Christie @ https://wonderingandwondering.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete